Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Snapshots of life from a busy mom

-posted by Jayne

Fall is just so busy around here.  Every year it gets like this, and I can't quite put my finger on exactly what makes it so busy as compared with February.  But it really is pretty easy to see if I stop and think about it.  Beautiful weather that leads us outdoors to master bicycling skills (Mason just got his training wheels taken off!), soccer games, pulling Fall honey from the hives, collecting and cleaning bee pollen, getting stocked up on soap for pre-Holiday sales, and keeping up with increasing online sales.  When it gets cold, people start eating more honey!  Pure comfort food- and it goes great in a cup of hot tea or coffee in the morning.


Today I caught Mason rummaging through his piggy bank, counting out his quarters, 
"What are you getting money out for, Mason?"  
"I need to get seven dollars.  I want to buy something from the Honeyrun Farm farmstand."
"What is it that you want?"
"Cinnamon Honey..."

"Mason, you know I can get you some Cinnamon Honey, you don't need to buy it from the farmstand. I can just get you some from the honey house...."
"Oh!"

I love Mason's mind and how it works.  I think he just thought it would be fun to spend some money at our farmstand and have a jar of cinnamon honey all to himself.


Randle Road Sunset 
 Maizy has taken it upon herself to start a fresh flower stand on our front lawn.  Lucky for her customers, the flowers are free.  She instructed me to write "Closing Time" on the back of her sign, and she turns it around when she is away at school.  So far she's only had 3 customers, so if you're coming by our way, feel free to stop by her flower stand.  It will make her day!


Another side story:  I had been avoiding phone calls from Missoula, MT, every night - since I knew it was a call from a student at the University of Montana who was calling to ask if I could make my annual donation to the University.  They always seemed to call right in the middle of dinner or when I was in the middle of an important conversation.  Finally, last night, I answered it.  I had already made my donation to the UM Sociology Department through the mail, so I assumed they were just calling to thank me.  I know many of my peers grumble about being asked by their alma maters to donate money, but I figure- it's the least I can do for them, since they gave me free tuition as well as a monthly TA stipend to live in the most beautiful city in the world for 2 (ever so short) years.  During the distracted 2 minutes it took me to have that phone conversation, Bridger was able to fill up his bowl of cheerios with lavender infused honey.  The boy drained the 8 oz bottle.  No need for milk, when you have honey, right Bridger?    When I got off the phone and saw what he did, I started cracking up.  He was eating it like it was normal- honey dripping off his spoon as he shoveled it into his mouth.  I tried to explain to him that it was too much honey, but his response was just a pouty face.  "Be quiet" (pronounced "kwy-dit") - he said with a grumble.  He did not like me laughing at his newfound independence with the honey bottle.  This is seriously about 6 full ounces of honey covering the cheerios.  He didn't finish it.  Even a beekeeper's son has his limits when it comes to honey.


This little babe is on the move.  She is now crawling on her knees, and she also has two teeth popping up through the bottom.  She doesn't care for daytime naps, either.  Just a few mini-cat-naps here and there.


So I get the question, "How do you do it?" quite often.  Meaning, how do I help run this business, take care of 4 young kids (one exclusively breastfed and refuses solid food or a bottle, seldom naps, and recently became mobile), and still manage to stay somewhat sane?  

Well- I just do the best I can.  I have a very messy house with books littering the floor, spider webs in every corner, half a million started projects that need finished (but will definitely get done even if it happens 5 years from now), piles of laundry in every room, and enough dreams to keep me going for the next 67 years.  Hey, my great grandma lived to be 101, so I'm counting on some longevity in my genes.  It's a fun life.

No comments:

Post a Comment